- Individual & Business Financial Planning
- Estate Planning Strategies
- Retirement Plan Selection & Evaluation
- Special Needs Planning
- Investment & Insurance Analysis
- Bachelors and Masters degrees from East Texas State University
- Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU® ) – The American College in Bryn Mawr, PA
- Certified Fund Specialist (CFS) - Institute of Business and Finance in La Jolla, CA
- Registered Financial Consultant (RFC)
As an independent financial planner, John has served clients since 1979. He works with individuals, business owners and key executives to develop strategies in the following areas:
- Individual and Business Financial Planning
- Estate Planning Strategies
- Retirement Plan Selection and Evaluation
- Special Needs Planning
- Investment and Insurance Analysis
John holds many professional industry designations including CLU (Chartered Life Underwriter), CFS (Chartered Fund Specialist) and RFC (Registered Financial Consultant). A director and independent financial planner at a top-ten branch with Securities America*, John has enjoyed a career of more than 35 years connecting with people and helping clients plan for their financial futures. In 2015, he was recognized as one of the Dallas/Ft. Worth Area’s “Five Star Wealth Managers” by Texas Monthly Magazine**. This award is presented to the top three percent of wealth managers in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
John helps clients seek financial freedom and independence by helping them establish clear goals and financial discipline. He works with clients to prepare a plan that takes into consideration their goals, unique needs, time frames and risk tolerances. John helps to educate clients so they can make well informed decisions and find meaningful financial solutions to their specific, personal circumstances.
John enjoys spending time with his wife Danette, three children and three grandchildren. He is a deacon at his church, serving on various committees. John has also been a board member for four corporations during his financial career.
He also likes to spend time golfing, fishing, hunting and coaching. Having coached baseball for over 30 years, five of the young men in his program have gone on to play major league baseball. John proudly served his country for four years, riding submarines for the United States Navy.
* Based on gross dealer concession (GDC). ** Five Star Professional partnered with Texas Monthly (Dallas/Fort Worth region) to conduct research to identify a select group of wealth managers for 2015, who are exceptional in both their ability and their commitment to overall satisfaction. Fewer than three percent of the 20,400 wealth managers in the Dallas/Fort Worth region were selected. A survey was provided to approximately one in four high-net-worth*-households (more than 96,000 consumers), and 16,200 financial services professionals within the Dallas/Fort Worth region. Survey respondents were asked to evaluate wealth managers they knew through personal experience and to evaluate them based upon nine criteria-customer service, integrity, knowledge and expertise, communication, value for fee charged, meet financial objectives, post-sale service, quality of recommendations, and overall satisfaction. Both negative and positive evaluations were included in the scoring. Only wealth managers with a more than five years of experience were considered. Each wealth manager was reviewed for regulatory actions, civil judicial actions and customer complaints as reported by regulatory agencies. The final list was reviewed by a panel of local financial services industry professionals. Wealth Managers do not pay a fee to be included in the research or final list. Scores reflect an average of all respondents and may not be representative of any one client’s evaluation. Working with Five Star Wealth Manager does not guarantee investment success.
The Five Star Wealth Manager award, administered by Crescendo Business Services, LLC (dba Five Star Professional), is based on 10 objective criteria. Eligibility criteria – required: 1. Credentialed as a registered investment adviser or a registered investment adviser representative; 2. Active as a credentialed professional in the financial services industry for a minimum of 5 years; 3. Favorable regulatory and complaint history review (As defined by Five Star Professional, the wealth manager has not: A. Been subject to a regulatory action that resulted in a license being suspended or revoked, or payment of a fine; B. Had more than a total of three customer complaints filed against them [settled or pending] with any regulatory authority or Five Star Professional’s consumer complaint process. Unfavorable feedback may have been discovered through a check of complaints registered with a regulatory authority or complaints registered through Five Star Professional’s consumer complaint process; feedback may not be representative of any one client’s experience; C. Individually contributed to a financial settlement of a customer complaint filed with a regulatory authority; D. Filed for personal bankruptcy; E. Been convicted of a felony); 4. Fulfilled their firm review based on internal standards; 5. Accepting new clients. Evaluation criteria – considered: 6. One-year client retention rate; 7. Five-year client retention rate; 8. Non-institutional discretionary and/or non-discretionary client assets administered; 9. Number of client households served; 10. Education and professional designations. Wealth managers do not pay a fee to be considered or placed on the final list of Five Star Wealth Managers. Award does not evaluate quality of services provided to clients. Once awarded, wealth managers may purchase additional profile ad space or promotional products. The Five Star award is not indicative of the wealth manager’s future performance. Wealth managers may or may not use discretion in their practice and therefore may not manage their client’s assets. The inclusion of a wealth manager on the Five Star Wealth Manager list should not be construed as an endorsement of the wealth manager by Five Star Professional or this publication. Working with a Five Star Wealth Manager or any wealth manager is no guarantee as to future investment success, nor is there any guarantee that the selected wealth managers will be awarded this accomplishment by Five Star Professional in the future. For more information on the Five Star award and the research/selection methodology, go to fivestarprofessional.com. 2,862 Dallas/Fort Worth wealth managers were considered for the award; 684 (24 percent of candidates) were named 2015 Five Star Wealth Managers